As you can tell from the title of this post, I have been trying out two pencil brushes for a bit here now. I decided it would be kind of fun to do a little showdown of the two to see which one I liked better and which one was better period. Here is what I determined.
- This one is pricier. It costs $12.00.
- This one is made of real hair; natural goat hair. (Note: I don’t typically love using real hair brushes.)
- This one is very soft. In other words, the bristles don’t feel scratchy when applying shadow or other products. It also doesn’t feel like I’m poking myself in the eye.
- Doesn’t exactly hold up to washes. What I mean by this is that the first time I washed my brush, with baby shampoo and very gently I might add, the bristles started to fray. It also lost some of it’s shape. It became more pointier at the top and less rounded like it originally was.
- I got smooth application when applying shadow to my lower lash line. However, after awhile (because of the fraying) it became less precise.
- This brush is less expensive. It cost $5.00.
- Made of synthetic material. I prefer this kind.
- Also very soft. I found this one to be softer though.
- I also found this brush to be denser.
- I had a much smoother application of shadow on lower lash line and on the outer and inner corners of eyes.
- Much more precise. I think this is due to it being much denser and smaller than the Mikasa. I also think it has to do with it’s shape; domed.
- It held up to washing better than the Mikasa as well. I had no fraying and it held it’s shape better.
As you can see, I think both brushes have their merits. However, I think you can tell that I lean more toward the e.l.f. brush. I have been using this brand’s brushes for many years and have loved every single one I’ve tried. I think for a drugstore brand, they make some great brushes that feel like I’m using a much more expensive brush. Great quality & great price.
I would love to hear your thoughts on either of these brands or your thoughts on this post. Let me know if you would like me to do more of these kinds of posts in the comments below or on any of my social medias. I love hearing from you guys!
Thanks for reading!
*Mikasa contacted me and asked if I would like to try out any of their products. This being said, I did purchase this product with my own money. All opinions are my own.